- For handbell ringers, to create and nurture a performance-oriented, community-based opportunity for advanced handbell ringers to improve their skills and explore new realms in handbell music;
- For musicians, to inspire creativity towards new handbell music;
- For the community, to perform a unique instrument as an outreach service;
- For educators, to provide assistance for educating students of all ages on the art of English handbell ringing;
- For Virginia, to celebrate and perform the music of and from Virginia.
Virginia Bronze’s primary outreach activity is through our concert performances. We actively seek concert venues within existing concert series, retirement community centers, churches and educational institutions, and conferences sponsored by our national organization, the Handbell Musicians of America.
Membership in Virginia Bronze is open to all persons who are either qualified handbell ringers or persons interested in promoting the purposes of the organization. Virginia Bronze holds annual auditions and selects the 16 most qualified and committed handbell ringers for the next season. Currently members come from at least three Northern Virginia counties and Washington, D.C. Neither the ringers nor the Executive Committee are paid for their activities. We rehearse two hours each week and perform 5-6 concerts per season.